Education & Other Resources

We provide various types of assistance and other useful resources to assist individuals and families seeking help. We meet regularly with individuals to provide complimentary financial assistance, including:

  • Explaining Social Security, SSI, VA and other payments
  • Establishing a budget, discussing it with the individual, and involving him or her as much as possible in financial decisions;
  • Helping find other benefits and services they may need such as supplemental nutrition assistance, housing subsidies, etc.;
  • Helping obtain medical treatment and mental health assistance when needed;
  • Helping with Medicare, Medicaid, and prescription drug expenses;
  • Helping fill out applications for needed services;
  • Negotiating with landlords and others to get the best possible deals;
  • Helping file income tax returns;
  • Making Social Security VA and other recipients aware of large retroactive payments;
  • Discussing ways that our agency, as well as other organizations and social service agencies, can help individuals live better and fuller lives;
  • Directing or referring to other organizations and social service agencies that are outside of the financial arena that can provide needed help.

Financial Education

Provide basic financial education and financial education materials to financially undereducated and/or financially challenged individuals. Examples of current materials used are:

  • Financially Frozen©: The course covers budgeting, credit and credit scores, managing a checking account, debt, contracts, insurance, scams, consumer laws and more and a friendly, easy to understand manor.
  • Credit When Credit Is Due©: a complete twelve-lesson course in both book and online form in which individuals can learn how to manage their personal finances from their own home or through free seminars. The course covers important financial lessons and includes worksheets and forms;
  • Money in Motion©: a short financial education course designed to provide simple yet practical advice on how to master basic financial skills;
  • Money Smart: The FDIC's Money Smart financial education program can help people of all ages enhance their financial skills and create positive banking relationships by helping build financial knowledge, develop financial confidence, and use banking services effectively.

Please Contact Us to obtain educational materials.

Frequently Asked Questions